The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission.
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse, for which I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify the police and inform the intended victim.
- If a client intends to harm themselves I will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in ensuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, I will take further measures without their permission that are provided to me by law in order to ensure their safety.
- Under certain legal circumstances/requirements regarding court subpoena and court order.
- If someone other than you is paying for your treatment (and in cases of shared accounts), note that they will have access to your appointment history, which may include the date and time, location, type of service(s) and possibly future scheduled appointments.
- Correspondence (e.g., email, text, voicemail) is not guaranteed to be private and therefore, is not deemed confidential means of communication.
I am licensed to clinically practice in the states of Illinois and West Virginia:
- The State of Illinois has specific FOID reporting procedures by mental health professionals for Illinois resident gun owners; the state of West Virginia has monitoring processes at the state level regarding incompetency and involuntary admissions, see Chapter 61 for details.
- Please also know that the states of Illinois and West Virginia do not have laws/regulations regarding post-mortem records release/disclosure, therefore, the executor of your estate may be able to request your records upon your death (please seek legal advisement about this and if similarly concerned about competency).
- Upon my incapacitation/death, I have legally documented procedures for clients/professional contacts to be contacted/informed, please speak with me if you have questions about this process.
Please contact me with any questions about the above information and your rights and limits to confidentiality.